Categories and Classes of Water Damage
In flooding cases, water is typically classified into one of these three categories:
- Category 1 Water — Often referred to as “clean water,” category 1 water doesn’t pose a threat to people. Water damage in this category usually comes from broken water supply lines (such as the ones to your sink), tub overflows and water heater malfunctions.
- Category 2 Water — Sometimes called “grey water,” category 2 water refers to water that contains a significant amount of chemical, biological or other contaminants. This type of water is dangerous to humans and can cause discomfort or disease.
- Category 3 Water — Known as “black water,” category 3 water is very unsanitary and can cause severe illness or discomfort because of harmful bacteria and fungi. This category includes sewage, river water and standing water.
The water damage itself is classified into four classes of damage:
- Class 1 — This is one of the least extensive classes of damage. It only affects a portion of a room and the materials around it are not absorbing much of the water.
- Class 2 — Class 2 damage refers to damage that affects an entire room of absorbing materials, such as carpeting or cushions. The damage may have also travelled up to two feet up the wall.
- Class 3 — This class refers to water that typically comes from above the room, damaging the entire room, including walls, ceilings, insulation, carpeting and more.
- Class 4 — This distinction is only used in specialty situations, usually when the water affects materials such as concrete, plaster, hardwood floors and crawl spaces.
Water Damage Demands Expert Service
For the health of you and your family, it’s important to treat water damage immediately, regardless of the category or class of damage. Standing water can pose health hazards and cause mold to grow within the walls of your home or business.
If your property has been affected by water damage, you need expert technicians who can treat and restore your home thoroughly. At Dry Experts, we pride ourselves on our professional service to San Antonio area residents. Contact us today.